Thursday, March 6, 2008

People drive like crazy loons...

....here in Dallas if the word snow or ice or sleet is even whispered by the local meteorologists. Why meteorologist would be whispering, I don't know. In any case, there may have been a weeeee bit of snow and ice today on the roads. Actually, it never hit my neck of the woods, but did further north and east where they got THREE! INCHES! OF! SNOW! I know...the horror. I imagine there are cars everywhere alongside the roadways wedged into the huge snowdrifts this blizzard has caused. People are probably sustaining life by eating ketchup packets and individual jelly cups....Lord help them.

Monday night was a similar situation. It snowed the night before and there was maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of snow on our front yards in the morning. Not on the street...not because the massive snowplows came out to plow the ONE! INCH! OF! SNOW! but because it was freakin' 80 degrees two days before. Snow is not going to stick with that kind of weather tomfoolery. So I left for work at my normal time (8:00 so I can get there at..well, ummm 8:00...you can see I'm not punctual) and oh my Lord you'd think it was the second coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. The cars! They were everywhere! I live approximately 8 miles from work. EIGHT MILES (for those of you that can't read number). It took me ONE HOUR to get to work. Because there were accidents? Because there were mass amounts of people stranded and setting up shanties on the side of the road? Because the chains of people's tires weren't working? No...not for any of those reasons. Just because there was snow on the ground. Not on the road, but on the ground. People freak the fuck out and drive 5 miles an hour. ON DRY roads. You think I'm kidding? This is a picture of my house at 8:00 am on Tuesday.

Notice the sidewalks/driveway? Yes...snow free. Yet as I hit mile one of my journey traffics stopped. I tried to take about three other routes but ran into the same problem. I'm thinking if there is ever a town emergency you guys better get your goodbyes in early. There's no way I'm getting out of my neighborhood. I will be growing a third arm sooner rather than later.

Quite a long rant but for reals...I'm expecting tomorrow morning to be a complete freak fest. I think I should either leave extra early or extra late. I'll give you one guess as to what my preference is there.

Oh, and by noon on Tuesday? My house looked like this:

And then it was like warm and toasty yesterday. And sleet/snow/ice fest today. Maybe I outta lay off the aqua net. But you know what they say. The bigger the hair, the closer to God.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Megan,
I feel for you! I live in Chicago and people don't know how to drive here either. Although I think it is a little better. The company I work for is based in Dallas and all I heard about all day was the snow and how people can't drive in it. It sounds like a lot of them are going to take tomorrow off because of it.
An hour to go 8 miles. I don't know how you survived. I would have been at my witts end.
Thanks for the laugh! I just love your posts.
Shannon

Dallas Diaries said...

yeahhhhh... I left early because I was umm.. given the opportunity to (its like giving a dog a bone and NOT expecting him to chew on it) and I think by the time I left the snow wasnt bad and the roads werent bad either.

Apparently it was earlier in the day though. You know, to my defense of leaving early.

Anonymous said...

The majority of the population is a bunch of friggin' idiots who breed other idiots. And then those idiots teach their idiot kids how to [not] drive

My mom heard on the Today Show this morning that a new mom loses 700 hours of sleep during the first year of her baby's life. I agree... and I think it's starting to adversely affect my personality. I'm much bitchier than normal...

Mike said...

We have a different problem here.

People are so used to the snow that they still go fast when the road is completely covered in it.

Then when they get into accidents and go into ditches slowing me from a proper speed to FUCKING ZERO they wonder what happened.

And I go finish the job the accident started.... with my Loisville slugger.

~Jen~ said...

This cracked me up. I can say for certain that I DO NOT miss the morning commute, I can only imagine what highway 75 would have been like.

But...I think my FAVORITE part of the post was how you left at your usual time...8am....how Fujitsu like. I can't remember that any of us were particularly punctual. I think I left between 7:45 and 7:50 and I had a 25-30 minute drive. Some days I do miss that place...well not the place, but the people.

Scotty said...

When it rains here, we get the 'Storm Watch' on the news.

AND people dont know how to drive in the rain. Thank goodness I dont have to deal with them on the way to work (since I dont need to take the freeway)