Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Zoo Crew - Part Uno

I thought I'd take this opportunity to start to introduce you to those creatures that share my house with me. They are the ones that keep this place full of fur. Full. As in, I would have to set the place on fire to ever get rid of it. As in, I pity the person who buys my house sometime in the future if they are allergic to animals. It's a fur fest. Although I think my animals happen to have a disorder that makes them shed about 5 times more than any other pets, I love them dearly and all three of them have their own distinct personalities. Oh yes, they have personality.


I'll start first with Daisy my 'firstborn'. I decided that I was 50% ready for a cat in September of 2001. It was only 50% because for some reason I thought the responsibility may be overwhelming and I wouldn't be able to do a good job as a cat owner. This blog isn't called 'life stories of a girl and her neuroses' for nothin' people. And yes, I realize that everyone ELSE knows cats are close to the easiest animals to care for. Nonetheless I was a bit worried. I went to the SPCA to just see what was out there. About three hours later (my boyfriend at the time was about to strangle me) I decided on a teeny tiny little ball of grey fur. Seriously she was tiny. She seemed so sweet and so cute I couldn't resist. The SPCA was having a two for one deal and tried to snooker me into getting her brother. I didn't want to be a multiple cat lady (Ahem, I supposed that changed somewhere along the way) so I chose to pass. Anyway, I got the little fluffball home and named her Daisy by looking at around my apartment and seeing the Gerbera daisies on the mantle (creativeness oozes from my pores).

Daisy was such a friendly little kitten. She curled up in any visitors lap and purred like a motorboat. Then one day things changed (cue thunder and lightning). This little kitten had pulled the wool over my eyes!! One day she turned into a mega-bitch. Now I realize most people say they have a bitchy cat. But honestly, I don't think they know what they're talking about since most people haven't seen Daisy. Daisy, the cat who will rear up on her hind legs and spit at you (ask Annie and Devin). The cat who does this weird huffing and puffing when she's mad. The cat who will draw blood any chance she gets (I think she's part cougar). My friends who spend the night insist on closing the guest room door at night for fear that Daisy will cut their jugulars under the cover of night. I don't put it past that little minx.

All that being said, she is totally sweet to me at least 85% of the time. I can pick her up, throw her around, snuggle with her, pet her etc. but every once in a while she puts me in her place. I'll take the 85% over everyone else's 2%. (maybe even 1.5%).

It's a wonder I am alive though after bringing other animals into the house. She made it clear from the start that bringing in another cat meant taking my life into my own hands....but I survived. Daisy holds a special place in my heart because she was my first (even if certain people would like for her to 'mysteriously' disappear - I know who you are!).



Stay tuned for the next installment of 'The Zoo Crew'....if I survive the night!
P.S. Are you on pins and needles waiting for the results of my date tonight? No? I am!

5 comments:

Fluffycat said...

Ha, I have a cat like that, only he was never sweet as a kitten. However, he is mellowing with age, and isn't always out for blood.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see Daisy drunk and/or high.

Librarian Girl said...

Wow, your cat is the proprietor of a HAIR BOUTIQUE? So impressive.

Anonymous said...

fluffycat - Daisy is 6...I'm hoping a few more years will bring much mellowing. ha!

annie - she would stil be a bitch. Just a high/drunk bitch.

librarian girl - I saw that shop when I was on Catalina Island. I was pissed I hadn't thought of something similar before. Daisy loves doing hair! :)

Fianna said...

I had a cat named Daisy. She was a crazy, psycho cat as well.

Would bite when you petted her - even though she was rubbing on you looking to pet, would randomly attack your feet just to tell you once again that she despised your existence.

Once I got other cats for her...hoping she was just a lonely psycho, she would stalk them. The worst being - kicking their asses in the litterbox. Really now. There is nothing worse in my opinion than getting attacked than when you are on the throne. That is just cruel.

But in the end, she lost the cat lottery when I left the ex and he got her. Poor guy.