Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Why it's sometimes not good to live in the sticks

One picture says it all....I'm providing a few so you should be overwhelmed by evidence.
I'm not sure if you understand the magnitude of this spider. I was not brave/stupid enough to get close enough to give you perspective. I mean, I can just see it now, right as I'm about to snap a shot of this thing by my head it leaps onto me, starts sucking my blood and wrapping me in a web cocoon and it's all captured on film. And although I think that might be fun for you, if you think about it the pictures would have never made it to this website. uh huh...ever think of that? Anyhow, just believe me when I say that it's massive. Maybe the size of a small puppy. And no, I'm not going to kill it. I'm too much of a creature lover to kill even the scariest of creatures (except roaches, I have no mercy with roaches). Instead I will name her Charlotte and hope that she spins a web that says 'Megan' by tomorrow. If not, I'll re-evaluate my decision.

You may be wondering how the garden is going. Or you may not, but that's not really here nor there. What's important is that I am going to give you an update. Many exciting things to report.
#1 I think I may have figured out one of the cantaloupe/watermelon plants. The wildly growing plant (that has grown an additional 12 feet from last time) now is producing 2 fruits on it's trillion billion feet of vines (seems excessive for two fruits if you ask me). Those two fruits grew past the normal olive size where they usually turned black and died. See below. I deem these as watermelons from here on out.

#2 The pepper plant suffered a bit over the weekend. Of course as soon as I left it stopped raining for the first time in two months so the little pepper got a little parched. I decided to pick it when I saw it to save it from certain destruction. It is a little shriveled and still green, but I may try to eat it at some point. Here is the plant that remains:

It's so tired that it's resting on the tomato plant container. Poor Pepper, I think he's done for the season.

#3 the plant that now will be called the cantaloupe plant (by deductive reasoning) is still weird. How do I know when these things are ready? Are they safe for human consumption??
The tomato and zucchini aren't even worth mentioning. There's nothing going on there. Damn gay zucchini.

So that's it. You know it's a slow news day when I provide pictures of produce.

Champagne wishes and produce stand dreams....

2 comments:

Dallas Diaries said...

What the hell kinda spider has 4 legs?

Salma Gundi said...

That spider is insane. Everything really is bigger in Texas!