Monday, December 17, 2007

31 and still not done...

So the birthday outing was wonderful. Other than actually getting to the bar from the car in the North Pole-ish weather, it was greatness. It was warm and toasty inside and the drinks flowed like water. We ended up going to Sherlock's instead of Nine7 Two at first because the club didn't open until 11:00 and then stayed because the most awesome band came on. I was a little concerned at first...they were called Metal Shop and although I myself love metal, I knew my companions wouldn't. Then they got on stage.




OMG, it was all my 12 year old dreams all rolled into one. It was the pinnacle of being someone who was in their 30's. It was a 'hair band' cover band. Holy bejesus I was in heaven. They got off to a slow start because all the fuddy duddy's in the crowd but they soon won over the hearts and minds of everyone there. I was determined to be one of the groupies and was second out to the dance floor, dragging Tere along with me. "AAAAAAA, she's a little runaway..." and "She's my cherry pie..." I was caterwauling to all the hits.


I must say though I learned a few things that night. I mean, you'd think at 31 I'd know some of this stuff but apparently not. Just so you don't make the same mistakes, here they are in no particular order.



#1 Dress up even when you don't feel like it. - I just wasn't feeling like getting dolled up that night so I wore something pretty non-descript. Not my usual stilettos, but instead high heel boots. Instead of a sleeveless top, it was a grey 3/4 shirt with dark jeans. By the end of the night I was totally wanting to look cute instead of frump! And you can tell by the pics I was not feeling 'sexy'. Well, except for in exhibit #1:

In my defense this is not a stranger, this is one of my friends.



#2 Do not under any circumstances wear a grey shirt when going out dancing with the possibility of sweating (and knowing me, that probability is about 99.9%). - See exhibit #2 below on why that was not a good idea.



yeah, I look so carefree and happy. Meanwhile the guy that dragged me out to the dance floor has a look of panic like 'get me away from sweaty pit girl'. Sigh...did all the awkward trials and tribulations of Jr. High teach me nothing??


#3 Try not to fall in love with the wig-wearing lead singer wearing neon orange spandex cheetah pants even though you're drunker than a skunk. See exhibit #3:

Yes I touched his hand...and no I haven't washed it since. What?? He reminded me of Bret Michaels...I was 12 again...leave me alone.


#4 Make sure when pictures are being taken of you, you can actually SEE the camera. Exhibit #4:





I have no additional comments on that one. I just look like a dumb ass.



#5 If your lungs feel like the inside of a bingo hall the next morning, look for evidence in picture as to why that is. See exhibit #5:
do you SEE all the smoke billowing around us? On the upside, my hair looks very shiny. On the downside, my lungs are two shriveled pieces of coal. Why do I smoke when I drink?? Terrible, I know.

I'll add the other pictures...ya know, the one's where everyone else looks cute and normal...to my flickr sight soon.


So 2:00 came quicker than I thought. All of a sudden the band was done and we were getting ready to leave. wha? why are we leaving?? It's 2:00 am Megan. Oh. Okay.


But we are not done. Oh no. Just like any drunken night, one needs great quantities of food just to make it home. So we went to IHOP. While we were there these three guys started singing 'Like a Virgin'. Then the table next to them joined in...then we joined in. I was crossing my fingers and praying to baby Jesus that the whole restaurant was going to join in. It would have been the highlight of my life. I would have jumped up on the table and started a dance in hopes that everyone else would somehow know the same dance and it would be like one of those cheesy high school comedies. But alas, it was just our three tables. But it was fun anyway. At the very end of the night the guys came to talk to us. They were pretty funny and we talked for a bit. I was fading fast and decided it was time to call it a night. April drove my sister and I to my house, I took out my contacts and went to bed. BIG mistake. No water. I woke up with the worst hangover yesterday...all day yesterday. Ugh. I obviously have not matured in 31 years on earth. I'll get there some day....but not today. Learn from my lessons children...and learn them well.

7 comments:

Scotty said...

They, have the look of an awesome 80's cover band. No doubt.

I liked the photo editing with the arrows, very descriptive :)

You should be ashamed of yourself for not drinking water... tssk tssk

Sizzle said...

welcome to being IN your 30's...where you suddenly wonder why you have a hang over. the body betrays! :)

looks like you had a great time. yay!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sounds like an awesome night!

Sassy but sweet... said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!!!! Sorry I missed the party, but we'll do it up in style on Saturday!

-bama

Megan said...

scotty - Now you should tell people 'please post pics with arrows' :)

sizzle - yeah, 31 was harder than 30 because I'm IN my 30's. sigh. And you're right, the body betrays!

bobbi - totally awesome dude!

SBS - you had more important things to attend to...and we'll drink lots of wine of Saturday to make up for it! :)

Librarian Girl said...

That sounds like an AWESOME birthday.

Happy birthday to you!

MT said...

Looks like an awesome time!!

Glad to hear you didn't wake up with one of the "dudes" from the big hair band.


MizzTissa
sexy high heel boots