Well, I hope everyone had a great Christmas, or if you don't celebrate Christmas then I hope you had a good day off. And if you didn't have the day off, well....then I got nothin'. I just looked up at the clock and am appalled to find that it it 10 till 9:00 pm It feels like bedtime. Then again, maybe it feels like bedtime because I have been in bed all afternoon. What? Am I sick? Injured? No, just lazy and the proud new owner of a featherbed which feels an awful lot like sleeping on a marshmallow which combines my two loves, sugar and sleeping.
So as I sit here being a sloth yet again, I have time to reflect on the year that has past. Because we all know once the Christmas season ends, you are just a hop, skip and a jump from New Years Town. Some people despise new years, I kinda like it. In the past I have revolted against the New Years resolution, coming up with a promise never to eat Yak meat again, much like my sacrifice for lent. But 2007 has been pretty good to me and I'm thinking to myself, if I can stop being a sloth, I bet 2008 will be even better. Of course, the neurotic side of me thinks now that I've put that in print I'm destined to get hit by a Mack truck Jan 1, but that's just the crazy talking. 2007 was the year of rebirth for me. It was a difficult beginning of a year, but over the course, I really feel like I've transformed myself body and soul. Not a complete renovation, I mean I remodeled more than I tore down and rebuilt, but nonetheless I think I've come a long way, baby (now where are my Virginia Slims?)
Resolutions, resolutions, what do I think of resolutions. I think if you follow up with them, much like a habitual list maker then they are a good thing. It's always said that if you write things down you are more likely to accomplish them. So here I write my new years resolutions. Because we all know how well that worked out when I wrote about me training for a 10k. Have I mentioned I haven't seen the inside of the gym in at least a week and that the amount of sugar and fat I've ingested recently compares nicely to a 30 gallon drum? No? Well, it's true. At any moment my arteries could completely harden or I will get diabetes. Neither are laughing matters, but I see them peeking around the doorway right now.
So without further delay, here's what I resolve to do/not do next year.
#1 take a vacation. It's been at least a few years since I've been on a non-family related vacation. I keep talking about going to places around the US like NYC, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, but have yet to actually do it. So this year I will.
#2 lose this last 15ish pounds. Holy cow it doesn't usually take people TWO YEARS to lose 50 pounds, but that's where I'm headed. Let's just not make it three, mmmkay?
#3 Continue to 'put myself out there' because as my father likes to say 'getting a boyfriend takes work'. And although that comment makes me want to vomit, I suppose he's right. Prince Charming (or even Prince kinda Charming) isn't going to show up at my door our of nowhere. As much as I like to think that's totally a possibility. knock knock. Who's there? Prince Charming! Prince Charming who? Prince Charming that will rub your feet and do the dishes and be thoughtful and kind and likes animals and likes a big marshmallow bed and would like to take you out for sushi right now....well, a girl can dream, no?
#4 Run that 10k and *possibly* even a half-marathon. If my knees hold up. Because lately they have been kinda poppy and crunchy and while that is an excellent quality to have in a cereal, is not so yummy when you're talking about your joints. It's all downhill after 31, isn't it?
#5 Spend more time/money on charitable causes. Because I don't do this nearly enough. And by nearly enough I mean I clean out my closet a few times a year and donate it to Goodwill. This does not a good citizen make. There are plenty of causes I would like to get involved with. Mostly having to do with animals and kids. I did a stint for a few years coaching volleyball to 2nd graders (until they were 4th graders). Although it was a bit fulfilling and did take up a lot of time (and Saturday mornings!) I somehow didn't get the feeling I was *really* doing the community a service as these kids drove away in with their mom's in Lexus SUVs and Mercedes. Yeah, I know I was still contributing to kids, but when one of these screamed incessantly that she wanted me to name the team "THE SHOPPING SPREES!!!!" I had a feeling there was probably a more worthy cause out there. (not that I totally wouldn't name my own volleyball team the Shopping Sprees...it has a certain ring to it, no?).
Well, I think that's enough New Years resolutions for now....Sex and the City re-runs are on now and I've taken entirely too long to write this post (I was dancing around the room for a little break halfway through this). Off I go to sleep in the marshmallow cocoon. zzzzzz
11 months ago
4 comments:
Virginia Slims = BAD Megan!
Vacations are super-awesomeness.
What kind of 'work' is your dad talking about?
Number 5's with kids, pretty cool. Youre contributing, they remember the things you say and do, just be a good example :) Of course.
The Shopping Sprees??? Now THAT is funny.
Happy New Year!
A marshmallow mattress - you're on to something!
I loved the "prince KIND OF charming!"
This reminded me that I NEED to make my resolutions/goals for next year. I don't know what to do though - we have so much going on in the new year I'll be doing good just to keep up. Graduation, the bar, a big surprise in July and a move in August. I'm tired just thinking of it all.
But your post has inspired me to stop being a sloth too - I've become one over the past 2 months.
dang those are some ambitious resolutions! You'll do every one of them. But Ugh I'm SO with you on putting yourself out there for dating.
I have to laugh cuz I titled my end of the year post "you've come a long way, baby" great minds think a like!
Post a Comment