So I caught up with an old work friend today when I was introduced to her blog. I was impressed to find out that she’s training for a triathlon and updating people on her training as she goes. Sooooo, I’m going to kinda copy that idea and give myself a goal, tell it to y’all and then do it. No slacking off! I will tell my huge network of 5 readers what I plan to do and they will hold me accountable. Right? I’m talking to you Spain! Oh and Canada, even though you’re the silent type, I still expect your support. And you, Croatia…I see that you visited today for 0 seconds. You better help me as well. Give me a good Croatian hurrah.
Okay, I’ve picked my poison. And boy is it poison. I’m picking a 10k on Septemeber 22nd. This is almost absurd and I’m thinking of deleting this post before you ever see it. 10k? That’s like….well that’s…okay how many miles IS that? This may be an important factoid to know. Okay, I just looked it up….6.2 (another brain fart, I KNEW a 5k was 3.1). Hmmmm, I’ve only every run about 4…and it wasn’t entirely consecutive. And I just started working out again after a few weeks of downtime. Do you see this? These excuses pouring from my pansy ass? But it’s only 49 days away! That’s not even 2 months! Okay, they have a training plan online. Hmmm, they have one for beginner runners. Hmmmm, I am one week behind schedule but maybe this is doable. I’m sure it is way enjoyable to read the back and forth conversation going on in my head. Captivating even. Alright damn it, I’ll do it.
Okay ladies and gentlemen, here it is.
Okay, I’ve picked my poison. And boy is it poison. I’m picking a 10k on Septemeber 22nd. This is almost absurd and I’m thinking of deleting this post before you ever see it. 10k? That’s like….well that’s…okay how many miles IS that? This may be an important factoid to know. Okay, I just looked it up….6.2 (another brain fart, I KNEW a 5k was 3.1). Hmmmm, I’ve only every run about 4…and it wasn’t entirely consecutive. And I just started working out again after a few weeks of downtime. Do you see this? These excuses pouring from my pansy ass? But it’s only 49 days away! That’s not even 2 months! Okay, they have a training plan online. Hmmm, they have one for beginner runners. Hmmmm, I am one week behind schedule but maybe this is doable. I’m sure it is way enjoyable to read the back and forth conversation going on in my head. Captivating even. Alright damn it, I’ll do it.
Okay ladies and gentlemen, here it is.
Some of the verbiage:
"White Rock Lake is your training stomping ground.Celebrate your finish on the Dallas Arboretum Martin Rutchik Concert Lawn with live entertainment, incredible food and drinks and unbelievable awards! Cool down while walking through 150,000 flowers at Autumn at the Arboretum"
Oooooo. Food? Drinks? Awards? Do they have one for slowest runner 30 and under? Heck, I might even be able to sweep the Ladies overall slowest runner. Cool down walking though the flowers? Sounds great although I bet you it will be hotter than Hades. Because this is Texas…and we have no Autumn…who are they trying to kid?
Alright that’s it. There it is. The training starts tomorrow. Apparently I’m supposed to run “3 miles easy”. Uh huh. There’s an ‘easy’ and ‘hard’ mode? Listen, it’s all hard for this chick (that has such potential to sound dirty). Those two glasses of wine and menthol cig I had tonight will surely help.
So here’s my life in a nutshell:
*Go to work every day – check
*Study and take GMAT in 2 weeks – damn it, check
*Start next semester of school (given the previous step is successful) - check
*Train 4 times a week –cheeeeeck?
Good thing guys aren’t banging down my door for dates, it doesn’t look like I’d have time for them. Okay, who am I kidding, I’d get my groove on in a heartbeat…screw running.
Champagne wishes and tiptoeing through the tulip dreams

"White Rock Lake is your training stomping ground.Celebrate your finish on the Dallas Arboretum Martin Rutchik Concert Lawn with live entertainment, incredible food and drinks and unbelievable awards! Cool down while walking through 150,000 flowers at Autumn at the Arboretum"
Oooooo. Food? Drinks? Awards? Do they have one for slowest runner 30 and under? Heck, I might even be able to sweep the Ladies overall slowest runner. Cool down walking though the flowers? Sounds great although I bet you it will be hotter than Hades. Because this is Texas…and we have no Autumn…who are they trying to kid?
Alright that’s it. There it is. The training starts tomorrow. Apparently I’m supposed to run “3 miles easy”. Uh huh. There’s an ‘easy’ and ‘hard’ mode? Listen, it’s all hard for this chick (that has such potential to sound dirty). Those two glasses of wine and menthol cig I had tonight will surely help.
So here’s my life in a nutshell:
*Go to work every day – check
*Study and take GMAT in 2 weeks – damn it, check
*Start next semester of school (given the previous step is successful) - check
*Train 4 times a week –cheeeeeck?
Good thing guys aren’t banging down my door for dates, it doesn’t look like I’d have time for them. Okay, who am I kidding, I’d get my groove on in a heartbeat…screw running.
Champagne wishes and tiptoeing through the tulip dreams

*representation of me after running a 10k….I may need people carrying me, but look at how great my abs look!
p.s. I now know for SURE what the hybrid plant in my backyard is....ya know, the cantaloupe/watermelon? It's not either. Home Depot screwed me over. Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode where I reveal what it is!

4 comments:
Running a 10K sounds like a great goal! Maybe you can enlist a running buddy with you for the day of the race. I could not have run the 5K in January if not for my running buddy, whose name was Megan, but who looked more like a Mark. But I digress... I'd volunteer to be your running buddy, of course, but since I'm in Houston... ;-)
Way to go Megan! You can do it. I haven't done that many miles yet either, since mine is a spring tri I won't have to then, BUT I am thinking of trying a 10k in October. We will see. Maybe if I move back to TX after Anthony graduates we can become running buddies.
urm.. You are very ambitious. I circle around walmarts parking lot for about 10 mins looking for a closer parking spot.
You can do my crazy no carb diet instead and lose tons of weight. I call it my Nicole Richie diet without drugs.
Annie - yes, I suspiciously looked like a man in the pictures I got. I still get freaking e-mails every other week from the Houston Marathon. They are stalkers! They know I didn't really run it!
Jen - yes! As long as you're willing to run at the pace of an 80 year old woman, I'd totally be up for that.
Pri- You told me it's being Indian that makes you so twig-like. Liar! I'm going to fore you to eat a big stack on pancakes on Monday.
Post a Comment