Thursday, April 10, 2008

Why it's scary to live in North Texas

Nothing like going to bed at 9:30 with a headache and waking up a little before 4 am to the sound of tornado sirens (still with aforementioned headache BTW).

Bolt out of bed

Turn on tv in living room (tv in bedroom still broken)

immediately see weather dude on tv...talks about tornado.

look outside...no rain?

look at tv...weather guy mentions my town

starts to pour

get animals in bathroom just in case tornado rips through house.

I sit on couch...mission control.

weather dude keeps saying 'squall line'...like really....like a million times.

"wind gusts up to 70 miles an hour"

"McKinney reporting 87 MPH wind"

dang it...where's my flashlight?

ooooo, I can light my candle from Walgreen's!

wait for power to go out at any minute....

sigh...this is the scary part about spring

OMG, weather dude just said "Gun Barrel City, you're really 'under the gun' right now!" Weatherguy humor...hil-a-ri-ous. "Honey, get the kids in the tornado shelter! oh wait...ha ha ha, the weather guy just made a funny! wait...is that the roof that just ripped off?" (and yes, there is a town called Gun Barrel City..awesome, no?)

Sorry guys, my humor is a little rusty at 4:28 am...

Well...the rain has stopped...the 'squall line' has passed. I'm going back to bed. Peace out.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Whatever. I know you don't worry about tornadoes that much.

Do you remember when I freaked out when I first moved up there because there was wind-shearing seen on the radar at Midway and Frankfurt - like a block away from me - so I called you in a complete and total panic ("how am I going to get this queen-sized mattress into my bathtub???"), and you were completley calm and chomping on some chips and getting to watch Friends or something equally uneventful. "It's springtime in Dallas..." you said.

Actually - I will agree that having a house and a few animals makes the thought of a tornado much worse. Can't wait to bring my animals (and baby!!!!) up to your place next September for an evacuation. Oh wait - we don't live that close to the coast. You may just luck out...

Dallas Diaries said...

I woke up to water splashing on my face at some ungodly time this morning.

You heard me right. The window has a leak.

Water splashed onto our bed. We're not talking drip drip. We're talking splash splash.

Very grumpy.

~Jen~ said...

Scary.

What was scary for me was that on Monday night when it was really bad here and apparently the sirens were going off and the weather man was saying for those in my town to take cover immediately.....no one in my house heard the sirens. We woke up b/c Bella did....heard the storm (it was loud) but didn't hear any sirens. We told Bella to relax b/c we were in side and safe. Holy cow what liars we would have been had a tornado ripped through the house - and poor Natalie was alone in her room completely asleep. Thankfully the tornado never came and we're all here to tell about it.

Scotty said...

Poor animals were probably all lonely. Time to put mission control in the bathroom.

annie said...

I'm with Scotty - I always think the cats will be scared without me in there! I'm so prepared (read: paranoid) that I have a 6" B&W battery-powered TV in my emergency supply kit (conveniently located in the closet where we would all hide from a tornado). I'd probably grab the cats (and I suppose, Reagan) and hide out in teh closet with my own mission control. We have satellite, though, so we'd lose signal during the first bit of rain, so that poor little 6"-er is all we'd have.

Megan said...

Annie - Yes yes, I remember clearly that story. I can't say I was terrified the other night, just a bit worried since it was the sirens that woke me up.

And you and all your relatives are welcome to take shelter here anytime. And rearrange my kitchen and cook ham hash and drink my beer.

Pri- wow...at least I didn't have that to worry about!!

Jen- scary, eh? Especially when you have kiddos. It's funny how many people said their kids woke up and they didn't. They are your own little personal alarm system!

Scotty- it would have been...if my darn wireless router wasn't broken. But at least the animals were safe! ;)

Annie- you crack me up